Friday, July 23, 2010

Food inc.

Last night Ben and I (and Heber as he had a really late nap) stayed up late watching this film:


If you have not seen it yet, you should! After watching it I felt so angered and outraged. How can we be doing this, why are we buying and eating this crap, why do we think this is alright? Are we really that blind to what happens to our food? I guess so and it is sad. I really liked the farmer with the chickens and pigs who processes them outside, he said some great things. I was most infuriated with Monsanto suing people for collecting their own seeds as a violation of patent protection. Ridiculous!! How can they do that!!!! I don't want to buy any more meat, eggs, milk, produce, or anything that I don' know exactly where it came from and how it was processed. It makes we want to never ever buy any processed foods at all, get our own milk goat, and preserve all of our own food that we either grow or buy from someone small and local.

Funny story about Monsanto: They were recruiting at the university here and I was looking into possible jobs for Ben. I went to their website and thought "humm.... they look like a pretty good company, taking care of the environment and providing a good source for seeds." So I told Ben to check it out and he was like . . . " Uhh, do you know they make round-up resistant plants? Do you know they completely destroy an area mining and then 'restore' it so that their company looks good?" They I was like "oh, well their website makes them look good" It was total green washing and right out lies. They make it look like they are so good for American farmers and providing good food yada yada. You can see their web site here 

Anyway (I say that a lot)... Have you seen the movie? What are your thoughts? I liked that they said that we can make this change. We have power as consumers and we are making a vote with every item that passes over the scanner at the grocery store check out. Do you think we have power as consumers to change the way we get our food?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I have seen this movie and it made me sick. I already don't eat a lot of meat and I don't think I ate any for a couple of weeks after watching this. I think that we do, to some point, have control to change the system, but I think that we, as a nation, are pretty dependent on "processed" food and it would take a lot of people to change things. I felt so bad for those farmers who were being sued and it totally made me hate Monsanto (plus a couple of more companies).

Anonymous said...

Totally agree... About 6 weeks ago I read "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows" by Melanie Joy. I concurr with this book... It's how I flet when I became veg. the first time. I've had a difficult time eating meat since. We also watched "Food Matters"... Quite enlightening. I'll see if our library has "Food Inc." Maybe we should live in a commune and produce our own food and clothing and co-op, etc.

Janice said...

I wish that the change was easier. So many people (me included most of the time) are too cheap to buy organic food. Why do they have to be 2 or 3 or 4 times the price? That is ridiculous but the only way to drive down the price is by buying the product.

Lisa- I think that you can watch Food Inc on www.hulu.com. I would totally live with you in a sustainable commune where we produce everything we need. I think about doing that a lot. I will have to check out that book and movie. I have been looking for local produce, dairy and meat. I have come across a lot of great sounding companies in your area. I found them doing a google search for local milk or raw milk if you are interested. Too bad it is too far away for me.

Post a Comment